Once an expansive mire, richly blessed in only the way the Garden State can be, Howell was home to the Lenape before being settled by New Jerseyans in the mid-1760s after the damming of the Manasquan River. As the bogs dried, the parting waters revealed naturally enriched soil which buoyed those first enterprising farmsteaders. Churches, taverns and farmsteads continued to populate the area, eventually coalescing into towns and communities like Adelphi and Farmingdale. Throughout the Revolutionary War, both British and rebel troops would be stationed throughout Howell, though the town wouldn’t be known by this name until 1801 when it was incorporated as a township and named after Richard Howell, New Jersey’s third governor. By then, Howell encompassed parts of today’s Wall Township, Brick Township, Lakewood Township, as well as several small boroughs along the Atlantic Coast and the borough of Farmingdale. Throughout the course of the twentieth century, outstretched farmland made way for modern suburbs and in 2005, Howell was chosen as the film site for scenes in Steven Spielberg’s War of the Worlds.